At the Hawthorne Gardening Company (HGC) we want our people to empower more people to garden no matter where and how they choose to grow. We accomplish this by encouraging people to live happier, healthier lives through gardening. If you also feel this way then you’d fit in great with us!
We are looking for Seasonal Merchandisers who will be a key part of our success in our peak Spring season.
The Merchandiser will report directly to the Sales Manager and work within our big-box retailers, such as Home Depot and Lowe's. As part of the day-to-day responsibilities, the Merchandiser will execute merchandising directives and re-sets, establish a positive rapport with store personnel and customers, and relay information to Scotts Sales team regarding inventory opportunities.
In this role you will:
- Merchandise products inside and outside stores
- Provide customers and store associates with product knowledge on Scotts brands
- Ensure product is stocked and presentable at all times
- Assist in identifying opportunities for solution selling and incremental space
- Provide support to Sales Manager and store employees as needed
- Work effectively independently and as a team to perform all tasks assigned
What we do for our associates:
- Competitive retirement program with up to 7.5% 401K match
- Provide valuable, hands-on experience within merchandising, retail, and customer service
- Provide a competitive hourly wage
- Paid on-the-job training including in-depth product knowledge on the Scotts products
- Fast-tracked career advancement opportunities for high performing associates
- Compensation for commuting expenses
- Provide flexible working hours
- Provide necessary safety gear
The ideal person will have:
- High school diploma or equivalent years of experience
- Experience in retail, merchandising, and/or stocking
- Problem-solving and service-oriented attitude
- Ability to lift, push and pull 45 pounds
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including holidays and weekends
- Ability to operate company-provided technology
- Current, valid driver's license and reliable transportation
- Ability to tolerate work in an outdoor environment (heat, cold, rain, etc.)
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Ability to read, write and speak English
- Ability to climb ladders physically and metaphorically
- Ability to move pallets of product
Our commitment to LiveTotal Health puts the wellness and safety of our associates and their families as the top priority. Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, ensuring associate safety has been a primary focus for all of us at Scott's. With the continuing pandemic, we remain committed to doing everything we can to keep our associates healthy and safe. As such, we are requiring certain associates to get a COVID vaccine*. This safety measure will help protect our associates, our families, and our communities. We recognize a medical or personal circumstance may prevent you from meeting this requirement and we have a process to address those concerns.
Not interested in this role? Check out our other career opportunities and learn more about what it’s like to work at Hawthorne Gardening Company by accessing our Talent Network: HGC Talent Network
The Hawthorne Gardening Company is a start-up company focused on hydroponic gardening. Dedicated to creating high-quality products founded in social and environmental responsibility. Backed by the largest lawn and garden company in the U.S. (Scotts Miracle-Gro, NYSE: SMG) we bring new ideas, values, and culture to our endeavors without the constraints of a large corporation. We are an energetic, progressive-minded, sustainability-focused group of highly-motivated individuals, eager to share our love of gardening with the world.
The brands and products within our portfolio include Sunlight Supply, General Hydroponics, General Organics, Vermicrop, Botanicare, AeroGarden, CanFilters, and Gavita Lighting.
Hawthorne Gardening Company is an EEO Employer, dedicated to a culturally diverse, drug-free workplace.
EEO/AA Employer/Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Notification to Agencies:
Please note that the Hawthorne Gardening Company does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of a signed Master Service Agreement, and specific approval to submit resumes to an approved requisition, the Hawthorne Gardening Company will not consider or approve payment regarding recruiter fees or referral compensations.
*Except where prohibited by state or local law